Friday, June 27, 2008

Grilled Tilapia with Cherry Salsa

Everyday Food, June 2008 p. 24
4 servings

1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for grates
1/2 pound (2 cups) Bing cherries, pitted and coarsely chopped
1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno chile (ribs and seeds removed), minced
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
coarse salt and ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
4 tilapia fillets (4 to 6 ounces each)

1. Heat grill to high; lightly oil grates. In a medium bowl, combine cherries, onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine; set salsa aside.

2. In a small bowl, stir together coriander, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Rub tilapia all over with oil; sprinkle with spice mixture.

3. Grill tilapia until opaque around the edges and underside loosens easily from grill, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a metal spatula with a thin blade, flip fish; continue to cook until opaque throughout, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve tilapia topped with cherry salsa.


I am SO glad I continued to try fish. I really enjoyed this cherry salsa with the fish. I couldn't taste the fish at all which is what I'm going for. Matthew liked this also. I served it with roasted potatoes (tossed in olive oil, Lowry's seasoning, and chili powder). I would definitely make this again. The only draw backs are that it took me a long time to get the seeds out of the cherries and my hands are now stained a bit from the cherries. It was something out of the ordinary and enjoyable during cherry season.

2 comments:

Bellawhoop said...

Mmmmm - This sounds YUMMY! :)

Wendy said...

I agree with Mel, this sounds yummy! There is a cherry pitter tool that would be helpful here, but never used one myself. It is one of those tools that would probably sit the drawer for years unused.