Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Name

I have received several questions about Canaan's name and its significance (pronounced Kaynan). We ended up deciding on her name while eating breakfast the day she was born.

Since we had such a hard time coming up with a name, Matthew wanted to look at names from the Bible. So I found a website of Bible names and printed out the list. It listed everything from people's names to names of places. While I was driving back to our house from getting our picture taken, Matthew pulled out the list and started reading through it.

Canaan was a name we both liked but we had a couple of reservations. Although we wanted to find something unique, we didn't really want to pick a name that she would always have to pronounce or spell for the rest of her life. I'm afraid that is exactly what we did for Canaan. Bless her heart! I hope she will like her name and won't be upset with us. I guess time will tell.

We have already encountered several situations where her name has been mispronounced - like at the pediatrician's office where they have called her Canon at both visits. Thankfully, the actual pediatrician got her name correct.

I really love it! I think it fits her perfectly - a beautiful name for a beautiful girl.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

I always love to hear the story of how a name is picked. It is a beautiful name and I hope that she embraces it for the uniqueness(I think that's a word) that it is.

Amy said...

I love it. I love unique names. And for the record, I thought it was pronounced "Kaynan" right off the bat. :) She's beautiful. I hope you're loving every minute of it.