Thursday, August 27, 2009
I did it. I got the government mandated mother haircut.
My newest haircut really has nothing to do with motherhood. I was just ready for a change. This happens at least every couple of years and sometimes more. And each time I get it cut short, I end up deciding I want to grow it long almost immediately. We'll see what happens this time around.
You can't really see much from these photos (why is our house always so dark in photos?). Today was my first day to fix it which was really fast. I can't complain about that!
Do you remember this wood pile? This has been Max's new pile of adventure. When Max got out of our yard by chewing through the fence, the vet suggested dousing it with a solution of water and cayenne pepper. He said most dogs will stop chewing because they don't like the cayenne. Max is not one of those dogs. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.
Max got a new toy for his birthday. It was 10 minutes before it turned from a fun toy to a pile of stuffing and string. 10 minutes!! Crazy dog.
Monday, August 24, 2009
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Here are some of my favorites. You can see the rest here. You just have to type in my first and last name to view the photos.
The other photos are my first attempt to take a picture of Canaan and me, some of Canaan's cute socks from a family friend, Canaan trying to put her whole hand in her mouth, and her cute stretch.
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
I found out today that when Canaan turns 4 months old I can try adding wheat to my diet. If that goes well, I can add tree nuts back when she turns 5 months old.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
More about Canaan...
- She is starting to suck her thumb more and is getting better at finding it. She still has issues keeping it in her mouth sometimes.
- A couple of friends have noticed two places on her bottom gum where it looks like she'll have some teeth. She is starting to slobber more. Surely she is not teething yet (I hope).
- Matthew likes to call Canaan stretch. She is a champion stretcher.
- When she coughs, she sticks her tongue out which is pretty cute.
- She is still sleeping well and sleeping through the night. This has been wonderful since I've gone back to work.
- She has had a couple of blow outs recently. We have found the Pampers Swaddlers to be really great diapers. We just started using a package of Luvs recently. They just do not work well with Canaan. I think we'll finish the package this week and be able to go back to the Pampers.
- Andy and Amy brought Canaan this really cute camo pillowcase dress when they stopped by a couple of weeks ago. I finally got a picture of her wearing it. It is really cute! Thank you Amy!
- It is pretty difficult to get a picture of Canaan smiling. I can get her to smile, but once the camera is in front of my face she gets a serious or puzzled look on her face. I'm just not quick enough.
Matthew is doing really well staying home with Canaan while I'm at work. He has gotten Canaan on a good schedule during the day with feedings and naps. Being at work hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be, but I discovered something this week I wasn't expecting. I don't like that Matthew knows more about Canaan's schedule than I do. It makes sense that he would since he is at home with her, but it is hard nonetheless. On the other hand, it is nice that he is so involved in her day-to-day care. For that, I am thankful.
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
I also have a quick story about a little boy that lives across the cul-de-sac. His father was deployed to Iraq for about a year. While he was gone, Matthew threw a football for him one day. Ever since then, he will come ring our doorbell every once in a while to ask if Matthew will come out to play with him. It is the cutest thing, but Matthew feels a little weird about it now that his dad is home.
Monday, August 10, 2009
Canaan got to meet one of my closest friends over the weekend. We had a great time with Kristen here. She said it was nice to spend a weekend where it was about 20 degrees cooler than at home. Isn't that nuts? It was so great to spend time with Kristen and to have a close girlfriend to talk with. I really miss her.
What's new with Canaan?
Some other recent facts about Canaan
1996 - the year of my green Saturn SL2
10 ½ - the number of years I have had the green planet (affectionately named by a dear friend)
36 - the number of miles per gallon I can still get on the highway
32 - the number of miles per gallon I can still get in the city
Who would have thought I would still have the car I purchased during my last year of college? I had no idea I would still have it 10 years later. It is disappointing the Saturn division of GM is closing. I'm not sure Matthew would be interested in buying a Saturn, but I would definitely consider it after my experience with this car.
It has been my goal to keep this car until it reached 200,000 miles. I made it!! Now is not a good time for us to purchase a car since we are currently down to one income so I hope it will keep going for a while.
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
I started back to work last Monday. I worked half days last week which was my husband’s brilliant idea. It was a great idea to ease back into the work day. I wasn’t sure how it would go since many days during my maternity leave I was still in my pjs around lunch time.
I was dreading going back to work. I would much rather be home with Canaan. Sunday before I returned to work on Monday was an emotionally rough day. But Monday was not bad at all. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn’t as hard to be at work as I had imagined. I think it has been easier knowing that Canaan is at home with her Dad. Even though it would be great for Matthew to be working right now, it is nice that Canaan doesn’t have to be in daycare at the moment. I am sure that day will come, but for now she’s at home.