Monday, August 10, 2009

The Diet

The diet is going much better than I anticipated. I have now been on it for two and a half weeks. I have definitely been eating healthier.
I have a couple of great cookbooks I haven’t used much (The New American Plate, Vegetables, and Food to Live By) that I cracked open recently. I already found several recipes I would like to try. I have also been using a Weight Watchers cookbook (My Turnaround Program). I have started to read labels at the grocery store like crazy. It seems like most processed food has either flour for thickening purposes, some kind of milk protein, or some kind of soy. You would be surprised some of the items that have these ingredients in them…some lunch meat, brats, chewing gum, bbq sauce, canned chili, taco seasoning, soups, etc.

As most of you know, I work at a grocery store. The other day I walked in the back room from being outside and almost went weak in the knees. What I smelled reminded me of the sopapillas at our favorite Mexican restaurant here. My mouth started to water. It was a beautiful smell! I didn’t even attempt to find out where the pleasant aroma was coming from. That would have just been too dangerous.

I expect that I will be trying some new things on this diet as I am completely tired of eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning. I found several items at the store to try from Enjoy Life. They have cereals, snack bars, cookies, etc. Check out the label on their products below. Isn't that awesome? I have enjoyed the caramel apple snack bars and the ginger snap cookies. I am not sure about the granola yet. I tried it with some hemp milk. It was not as good as "normal" cereal, but I think that was mostly due to the milk. It tasted quite chalky. I'll have to try rice milk in hopes that it tastes much better.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey,
So glad its going good. Don't get bored with stuff. Try these sites:
http://www.spewdfree.com/recipes/
or this one
http://www.cookingallergyfree.com/
Pretty sure you log in and tell it the allergies and it will remove all the recipes that have those ingredients or mark them as dangerous.

Good luck!

--Angie