Monday, May 19, 2008

How does your garden grow?

I spent most of Saturday outside planting in the front and back flower beds. This was really my first time to plant like this so I am anxious to see what happens in the next couple of months. We have a really short growing season here - I just planted this weekend and we could have snow as early as October.

I took before and after pictures of both flower beds. It is hard to see all the flowers in the after shot, but I expect (or am hoping) they will grow a lot and fill in the empty spaces.



In the front, I planted carnations and jethro tull coreopsis in pots near the front door and on both sides of the driveway. In the bed, I planted the following.

  • spenger asparagus
  • pincushion flowers
  • foxgloves
  • African daisies
  • regal geraniums


In the back bed, I planted the following.

  • salvia
  • dahlias
  • petunias

Almost everything in the front ended up being a shade of purple. I really like all the colors, but I saw so many purple flowers that I liked. Since I have never had a flower bed before, I was afraid of having too much color and it all looking chaotic.

While I was working in the flower beds, M worked on our fence. Unfortunately for us, the guy who built our fence did not do a good job or use good materials. So M spent just as long as I did in the flower beds working on the fence. He did a great job fixing it, but thinks other parts of it need to be replaced as well. So we may be working outside quite a bit this summer.

Max behaved very well while I was working in the flower beds. I played with him some, but mostly he just sat near the flower beds holding his Chuck-it toy. He did a great job of staying in the front yard. I tried to get his picture with the flowers, but that didn't work out like I hoped.


Saturday evening we had our neighbors over for burgers and to watch "The Prestige." All day I was thinking about grilling out since the weather was so nice. It was delicious!!

Here's to Spring/Summer!!

1 comment:

Bellawhoop said...

I can't wait to see all of your flowers in person! And we're so excited to meet Max. :) And don't think that we're not happy to see y'all...I can't wait to get (and give) big hugs!