Tuesday, May 27, 2008

"It's the altitude"

We had a really good weekend with our friends N and M. I am sure to leave something out, but I hope I will capture all the fun here.

Friday = Day One
M picked N and M up from the Denver airport. This gave me some extra time to finish preparing for our weekend of fun. M and I had gone over everything I needed to do, and as you will soon find out, I forgot a lot of what we had talked about. This is why making a list is a very good idea for me.

Once the three of them got to the house. They unloaded a bag from the car and we loaded our bags, cooler, firewood, water, and Max. We had lunch at Scholtzsky's (funny name, serious sandwich) and then headed into the mountains. This is when I revealed the roadtrip cds I had made for our trip. I have no idea what caused me to revert to my high school/college days, but we enjoyed listening to various tunes on the 3 cds that I made.


The plan was to car camp Friday night and then hike Saturday. We were not able to get into the area where M wanted to camp (due to the road being closed), but we got close to that area. We set up camp next to a creek. It sounded lovely. I couldn't tell you how many times Max crossed that creek. Every once in a while, he would try to jump all the way across it but I don't think he was ever successful. As we started to set up the tents (and by "we" I really mean everyone but me), the snow started to fall. I am not kidding. I had no idea it was going to be that cold. I would like to blame this on M since he told me "the weather won't be that bad", but I should have known better and looked for myself. Once it started snowing, I made my first discovery of items I hadn't packed - gloves, wool socks, and a hat. The guys made a nice fire and M cooked hamburgers. I then made my second discovery of items I forgot to pack - mustard, mayo, pickles, and dish soap. After we ate, we went for a short walk around the area. It was a beautiful place. We decided to get to bed since our friends had been up so early for their flight.

M, Max, and I did not get a wink of sleep Friday night. Poor Max was shivering so much. I was afraid he might freeze to death. My feet were so cold, I kept picturing getting out of the tent the next morning and having blue feet. I started praying for daylight so I could go get in the car and turn on the heat. At one point I told M it was the most miserable night of my life.

Saturday = Day Two
M (of N and M) came over to our tent Saturday morning to let us know that N had gotten sick (altitude sickness). It was about 4:40 am when she let us know. We soon found out that none of us had slept all night. We started packing up and left around 5 am. Even though I think everyone was disappointed about missing the hike, we were all ready to get home since we didn't sleep. About half an hour to an hour after we pulled out of our camping spot, I looked at the temperature gauge in the car which said it was 27 degrees outside. I have no idea how cold it got, but we will not go camping in winter weather again (hopefully) in a three season tent.

Once we got back to the house around 8 am, everyone showered and I made breakfast. Then the girls both ended up taking naps for a couple of hours while the guys watched movies. Max lounged around all day...he was completely pooped. After we had rested for a bit, we went to see the new Indiana Jones movie. The guys had high expectations and were sorely disappointed by the movie. I didn't really have any expectations so I was entertained. Afterwards, we went to my favorite Tex-Mex restaurant here for dinner. It was delicious. We came back home and played a few games and then turned in for the night.

Sunday = Day Three
Sunday was a beautiful and sunny day. Sometime after a late breakfast, the guys went shooting while the girls stayed home and played with Max. We later went shopping. The guys came home from shooting and took Max on a hike up the road a bit to "the forest." There is a pond/lake there and M wanted to see how Max would react to the water. He said after their walk he was looking for something to throw into the water so Max would jump in. Before he could find anything, Max went right in the water. He apparently loved it! We spent the rest of the evening playing games, eating dinner, and answering questions out of this book I have for getting to know anyone. We ate dinner on the back porch with our new fire pit. I was a little freaked out by having fire in our backyard in the wind, but it was quite enjoyable to sit around the fire and chat. It was a fun and relaxing day.

Monday = Day Four
Monday went by so quickly (as did the rest of the weekend). The guys took us back to the lake so we could watch Max in the water. He really did look like he was having a great time. We had to leave in the afternoon to take N and M back to the airport. The rest of our day was quiet because we were both sad to see them go.



M and I learned soon after moving to Colorado that almost anything could be attributed to the altitude. Have a headache? It's the altitude. Tired? It's the altitude. Car running funny? It's the altitude. So our running joke all weekend to whatever happened was "it's the altitude."

It was so WONDERFUL to have our friends here for the weekend. I wish we could get together more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, M (I still find it funny with no full name...LOL). I too was very disappointed with the Indiana Jones movie.

Sounds like you guys had a good time...A and I (lol) need to get up there to see you guys...of course we are up there alot and still haven't come by...my bad.

It may be hard to get up there for awhile because of the little one we're having, but we'll try.

TTYL

Bellawhoop said...

Mountain Man and I also had a WONDERFUL time with y'all! We really want you three to move up here. Maybe we could get your parents to move...that might be enticing. :-) Thanks for this detailed account of our visit. Fabulously done! A memory that will last in my mind for a long time will be all of us sitting around the fire in the backyard, talking and going through the question book. Good times!