Wednesday, November 19, 2008

"She's Having a Baby"

This post has nothing to with the movie. I have been planning this post for quite a while. I have some very exciting news to share.

Matthew and I are expecting our first baby! I am a little over 12 weeks right now and our baby is due at the end of May. Even though we have known for almost 2 months now, it is still hard to believe. After waiting for what seems like a long time, it was shocking to find out. I think we had almost given up hope this would happen to us (at least I think I had). This week we heard the baby’s heart beat at our appointment. It was amazing. There is a miracle growing inside me. All I’ve felt so far is nauseous, picky/specific about what I want to eat RIGHT NOW, headache pain, and EXTREMELY tired. And Matthew has felt really tired of hearing me complain about everything listed in the previous sentence.

We have made our announcement to most of our family, close friends, and co-workers, however we haven’t told our Sunday school class yet. We have several couples in our class that have really painful pregnancy experiences. It has been hard to know how to share our exciting news in a respectful and gentle way. I know our friends will be excited for us, but I also know it will be painful for them due to their own circumstances.

When I can stand to be awake after the work day, I have been reading What to Expect When You’re Expecting and Eating Well When You’re Expecting. I have already learned so much about the baby’s development and the changes my body is going through (and the explanation for why I am so incredibly tired). At my appointment this week, my doctor gave me this plastic replica of what size our baby is this week. Isn’t that fun? It is seriously miraculous to see that even at this size and only 12 weeks the baby already looks like a baby. How amazing is our God and His creation!

I cannot say that I have been eating particularly well. I have not been eating a bunch of junk food, but I’m having a hard time getting many of the foods that I should be eating. I have had a strong aversion to onion which I previously really enjoyed. I cannot even stand the smell of them. And they give me indigestion which is quite uncomfortable. Cooking has been challenging. When I’m hungry, I am hungry for something very specific (generally from a specific restaurant – and I’ve found that substitutions for what I’m craving don’t work out so well) and I want it RIGHT NOW! I have not gained much weight yet…by my calculations less than 5 pounds, although my body is definitely going through some changes. I am currently still able to wear most of my pants except the ones that were tight on me to begin with.

5 comments:

Wendy said...

Congratulations! Becoming a mother is one of the most wonderful things in the world. So glad to hear that your pregnancy is going well. The book 'Your Pregnancy week by week' was my favorite because it showed you how the baby progressed each week rather than by month. The after-birth version of the book is also wonderful. I am so happy for you and Matthew!

Bethany said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!! I am so thrilled for you! What wonderful news!!!

Amy said...

Andy and I are SO excited for you! Pregnancy Week by Week is another good book... quick read each week. My advice though would be to not take everything in those books word for word. They're so much fun to see how the baby is developing and what's going on with your body. But remember every pregnancy is very different. I tended to panic any time I read something that didn't happen to me. :) Congratulations! We hope to see you and Matthew at Christmas.

Susan said...

Mindy -- this is such great news! I have been thinking about this and wondering :) I'm so happy for you! I am sure some of the couples in your SS class will find such great hope in hearing your news! Congrats!!!

Lois said...

MINDY...I AM LOVING THE STORIES AND THE JOURNEY YOU ARE GOING THROUGH WITH MATT ALONG SIDE. LOVE, LOIS