Monday, November 10, 2008

"You people..."

I am embarrassed and horrified to say that these words poured from my mouth recently in a very accusatory way. I mentioned a couple of posts ago about going out with my co-workers on Friday afternoon. One of my co-workers is also originally from Texas and said something (I have no idea what) that made someone else start talking about Texas and how obnoxious Texans are and how they embellish everything. My reply, “You people make us this way.” Isn’t that a horrible thing to say?

Even before this conversation, I have been thinking a lot about prejudice and how I don’t think there are many (if any) people who do not have some type of prejudice. For example, I have found the following to be true in my own life.
If I see a car with an icthus (I have no idea how to spell that), I immediately have a warm place in my heart for that driver because he or she may be a brother or sister of mine in Christ.
If I see a car with a Longhorn on it, I also immediately get a smile on my face because I think that person is a fellow Texan in this tough Colorado world.
If I see someone driving a Hummer or another huge car, I think what a waste of money and gasoline.
For some reason, there is a group of people whose approval I would like because I have all the right stuff (money, the right clothes, a big house, etc) and a group of people whose approval I would like because they think I have less (drive an old car, etc).
I can get excited when visiting with someone who says they go to church and then get disappointed when they tell me what kind of church they attend.

The list could really go on and on. We all have so many opinions and it is hard (at least for me) to not get judgmental about someone who believes differently than I.

I found this to be the case during this election. I had a hard time understanding why anyone would want to vote other than I. I know that sounds completely ignorant or naive. While I was not excited about either candidate, I believe very strongly that as a Christian it is my duty to stand for those who are not able to stand for themselves. My pastor made this point recently, and I strongly agree with it. I am not to use my right to vote in order to vote for what will make my life the easiest and best. I am to consider what will be best for the citizens of this country. I am not what many believe to be a single issue voter. However, to me one of the most important issues has to do with life. I believe human life begins at conception. I cannot vote pro-choice. I believe all human life is created in the image of God and its purpose is to reflect the glory of God. I also happen to think it’s a good idea for the President to have military experience as that is such an important part of the job. I was so disappointed last week to see my state on the map colored in blue. As silly as it sounds, I missed seeing my state in red.

As my pastor said yesterday, “The votes are in, a new president has been elected, and I have good news for you. God is still on His throne.” The leaders of this world will all pass away, but God will be on His throne throughout eternity. That gives me hope. He is the same today as He was several weeks ago during the election. I am thankful that He is in control of all things.
By the way, you will not see me driving around with a bumper sticker that says “Obama is not my President” nor will you hear anything disrespectful come from my mouth. He will be my President, and I will do my best to pray for him and his leadership of this country. I pray that he will be a humble, moral, ethical leader who keeps the American people as a priority. I CANNOT imagine wanting to be President. What an impossible job.

No comments: