Monday, July 13, 2009

7 Weeks

I think we are beginning to find the happier Canaan. Last Thursday, the gastroenterologist had us start Canaan on a hypoallergenic formula because she thought Canaan may have an allergy to what I had been feeding her. I had to decide between the formula and going on a really strict diet (meaning dairy free, egg free, soy free, wheat free, peanut free, tree nut free, AND shellfish free). I was told the success rate of the diet was only 30%. This was a really tough decision for me. I REALLY wanted to breastfeed for at least 6 months; however, I had no idea how I would do cutting out all those foods. Matthew and I agreed the quickest fix to even see if that was the case for Canaan was to start her on formula. She seems to be doing well. She no longer has 10 to 12 dirty diapers each day, she is not spitting up as much, she is napping better and sleeping longer at night, and she seems happier and more alert when she is awake. We have a follow-up appointment with the doctor tomorrow afternoon.



I am not sure that we are seeing Canaan's personality yet, but she already seems like more of a little person than a baby (though she definitely is very much a baby).


  • In the first month, we went through at least 280 diapers and hundreds of wipes as well. It is amazing how quickly a package of diapers will empty.

  • Canaan is enjoying bath time. She is very calm during a bath and is upset when it is over (which could have something to do with being cold and wet).

  • She is starting to make noises though I wouldn't call it cooing yet. I am looking forward to that.

  • She has started to smile at us. The smiles have been few and far between, but I hope they will increase as she is feeling better.

  • We put Canaan in the church nursery the last two Sundays. The first Sunday she slept the whole time. Apparently the nursery workers were upset because they didn't get to love on her. Last Sunday she was somewhat fussy, but they never paged us. It was really nice to have those couple of hours at church knowing that she was being well taken care of. It was much easier to pay attention to what was going on without her there. She is quite distracting because she is just so cute!

  • One can of formula lasted us less than 3 days! This is going to be an expensive venture. I hope at some point I can go back to nursing her. We'll ask the doctor about that tomorrow.

  • We learned that Canaan has an umbilical hernia. At this point, nothing has to be done about it. It should heal on its own by the time she is 3. To us, it looks horribly painful.

  • Canaan weighed 9 pounds at the pediatrician's office last Monday. When we went to the gastroenterologist on Wednesday, she weighed 9 pounds 5 1/2 ounces. She's packing on the weight. It is now almost impossible to get a picture of her without a double chin.


Sunday afternoon I went to the wedding celebration of the daughter of the family that adopted me during college (sort of my home away from home). I hadn't seen the father or the son in 10 years! Man that made me feel old. It was so great to see their family and show off my precious bundle. Canaan slept almost the whole time I was there - in the midst of talking, laughing, and a thunderstorm (we were outside under a tent).



5 comments:

Amy said...

She's so precious. I can't wait to visit y'all in a couple of weeks. Sorry you had to stop nursing, but know that you're doing what's best for Canaan and that's all that matters. You said you're hoping you'll be able to nurse later. Are you pumping? I did that for a week or so when Katie was born. She was jaundice so I gave her bottles to make sure she was getting enough milk. It was quite a relief to give her bottles because Andy could bond with her through that too. (And it gave me a break!) I'm so glad to hear the formula is helping her feel better.

Amy said...

By the way, here's the blog where I found the directions on the pillow case dress. Seriously, it was SO easy! http://one-hip-mom.blogspot.com/2009/03/do-it-yourself-pillowcase-dress.html

You could measure Canaan and just make it a few inches smaller all the way around.

Wendy said...

She is so sweet! I know it's hard to not be able to nurse when you want to, but know that you are doing what is best for her and her delicate system. When she's happy, you will be able to enjoy her more!
If the formula is one of the major brands, sign up for their mailing list and you will get coupons that will help cut on cost. I also signed up my mom so that we got double the coupons.

Bethany said...

I am so glad she is starting to feel better! She is just too cute.

Susan said...

That is a great picture of you and Canaan!!