Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Week 36




  • My doctor told me this week that 37 to 42 weeks is considered full term so I am getting close. The baby could really come at any time now. I had another mostly good report at the appointment this week. My blood pressure was 116 over 60. Baby Girl's heart rate was 144 beats per minute. However, I also found out that my Group B Strep test I had last week came back positive. I was crushed to get that news. My doctor said that about 30% of pregnant women end up having this bacteria. Because he said it was so common, I wasn't worried at first. Then I did a little research on the internet out of sheer curiosity. I am not sure if that was a good idea. I had a rough day the day I did that research. I found out there is a small chance the baby can get an infection from this bacteria. It can be really serious for the baby if she does get this infection. So I will be given antibiotics when I am admitted to the hospital and rather than staying only 24 hours after Baby Girl's birth (which is all that is required in Colorado), I will stay 48 hours so they can monitor the baby. I spoke on Sunday with a friend of mine at church that is a pediatrician. She told me that yes it can be serious, but that this happens all the time without the baby getting the infection. So I am trying not to worry (worrying is something that is just second nature to me) and trust that God is in control and knows best.
  • I also met with a second pediatrician this week. Now I just have to decide between the two. One is super close to home, but I think I feel more comfortable with the second one I met with.
  • One of our neighbors is about to move and brought over a freezer meal for us to have after the baby comes. I thought that was extremely thoughtful of her. She recently gave birth to her third child who ended up being born 8 weeks early. She is now 8 weeks or a little bit older and doing well. I can't believe that in the middle of being with 3 kiddos 4 and under all day and packing to move that she made us a meal. She asked me if I was getting ready, and I told her what I tell everyone...that I would be ok if the baby waits to make an appearance close to her due date. She laughed and said that I may be the first person she's ever heard say that. It's not that I'm not excited, I just don't mind waiting a little while longer. Matthew and I just have no idea what is coming in the next few weeks, months, and years. It can be overwhelming to think about! I think there are a couple of other reasons that I could wait a couple more weeks. I have really enjoyed being pregnant. For so long, I wondered if I would ever become pregnant and get to experience all of this. I have not become completely uncomfortable in my pregnancy at this point either so I am just trying to enjoy it all. Who knows if this will happen for us again some day?
  • Even though I am not to an uncomfortable state yet, I have finally started to feel hot at times. I generally am always cold so this has been a strange reality. Now I see why some people complain about being pregnant during the hottest part of summer. I have also had a few Charly horse encounters that were not pleasant.

No comments: