Thursday, April 30, 2009

Week 35



Here's a list of random things that are going on in my head today.

  • I had an appointment with my doctor yesterday. Now I will be going to see him every week. It was a pretty short visit and everything looked good. He did not check much but said the baby could really come any time now. He asked if I was ready, and I said I would be ok if she stayed in there for a while. He just laughed at me.
  • Do you have any more bits of advice for me as I am in the last month, weeks, and days of the pregnancy?
  • So far, my belly button has not popped out. I keep wondering if this will happen to me. It has definitely gotten more shallow but is still an in-y.
  • For Christmas, Matthew gave me a gift card to a spa in town that can be used for all kinds of things. I was planning to use it on a pregnancy massage when I started to get uncomfortable during the pregnancy. Now I think I will save it until after the baby comes and go for a massage and maybe something fun like a manicure and pedicure. Let me know if you think I should use it before or after Baby Girl is born.
  • If you have ever been in the hospital for surgery, did you think about creating a living will? The hospital casually mentioned it when I went for my preadmission appointment earlier this month. I think it’s a good idea, but I do not have anything in writing at this point. I would hate for Matthew to have to make that kind of decision on his own without knowing my wishes and having them down on paper.
  • Baby Girl is still without a name. We are working on it, but nothing has just jumped out at the two of us as the perfect name. I hope we will have one picked before she makes her arrival. It’s such a big decision! If you have any suggestions, I am open to at least reading/listening to them.
  • We had our very last class on Tuesday. We took an infant and child CPR class. We were not certified in CPR, but we did learn the techniques for giving CPR to an infant and child. I hope I never have to use that information, but I am certainly glad that I went to the class. Matthew is so thankful the classes are now over (and so am I). They took up a good bit of our time in the evenings after work.
  • The only appointment I have left (other than the weekly appointments with my ob/gyn) is with a pediatrician. I met one a couple of weeks ago that is super close to the house. He made me feel like he was in a hurry so I decided to meet with one more just to compare. That appointment is next Tuesday. I hope that I can then make a decision and have that out of the way.
  • Things have slowed down quite a bit at work. I have slowly been transitioning some of my duties on to other people on my team so they can have some practice while I am still around for help/questions. I have become the project girl for my supervisor. This isn’t all bad, but it makes some of the days go by rather slowly. At this point, I plan to work until the baby comes. I am not sure what will happen and hope that I will not go into labor or have my water break at work. That happened to a girl at this store about a year and a half ago. I was the first person to see her in the bathroom and she told me her water had broken. I felt so bad for her that she had to deal with that at work. But she did great!
  • I forgot to mention something humorous in my post about last weekend. My mom, sister-in-law, and I were about to go to the grocery store Friday evening, so I took one last bathroom break. I ended up getting locked in my bathroom. Thankfully, it was a bathroom that had a window to the backyard. Matthew was able to hand me some tools through the window so I could let myself out of the bathroom. It was comical, but it would not have been comical under several other circumstances, mainly (1) if I had been in labor or my water had broken or (2) if I had been home alone. Thankfully, I wasn’t stuck in there too long.
  • For sweet baby girls, where do you find hair bows/headbands? I have looked around a bit and haven’t found many…not nearly as many as I would have expected. I am not sure that I will use them often, but I would like to have a couple just in case.
  • I have a LOT of blankets. I have received hand-me-downs, some new ones, and my mom brought up some from when I was a baby. How many blankets are enough? I am wondering if I have too many and should return some to get something else that I need.
  • Also, what have you found to be the best way to store blankets? I feel like I am already running out of room for everything. I'll have to post pictures of the nursery soon so you can see what it looks like (without anything on the walls so far).

4 comments:

Bethany said...

It won't be long now! You look great! I'm so glad you had a fun shower with lots of people who love you.

Happy 6th anniversary! Our 3rd is next week - time flies!

Andy said...

Man, I can't believe it's already less than a month away. I'm so happy for you guys. You're going to love it, and little girls are the best. They're so cute. I love it when Katie smiles at me.

With all the questions...lol. I still have tons of questions. I say trust your instincts.

For a girl name???? Emma???

TTYL

lois said...

Dear Mindy, wow..you are lovely pregnant lady. The best ive ever seen.
I have a suggestion on a name..
who in your life would you say influenced you the most? Either a bible name or a teacher or a dear family member or friend?

Write them down and omit to the best person.

Have fun! All my prayers for the journeys ahead of you!

Love, Lois

Anonymous said...

Name suggestion: Zoe
Living Will: good to have something I suppose.
CPR training etc: You probably will have to yank the baby out of a highchair occassionally for choking on food. Good to know how to handle that one. Had to slap my boys on the back at least once or twice. Instincts and quick reflexes are key.
Water breaking: At this point in my pregnancies I start sitting on a towel in my car.
Hair accessories: I don't have girls but have seen lots of bows at Kid to Kid resale shop and Once Upon a Child Resale. If baby doesn't have much hair get some cute headbands with a bow on them. Very popular.
Blankets: Got over 20 of them with first child. We returned some for other items like extra crib sheets or mattress pad covers or burp cloths. This is just the beginning of all the stuff you will accumulate from having a child. Just wait till Christmas! You'll be telling the grandparents in the next few years to get her a CD or savings bond to cut down on the amount of stuff! What a great problem to have, right!
Storage: Drawers or open baskets on the changing table for quick access.