Thursday, April 9, 2009

Week 32




The past couple of weeks have seemed really busy with the classes we've been taking to prepare for Baby Girl.

**This week we had our 3rd of 4 prepared childbirth classes. We watched a video of a C-section. I completely had tears running down my face when the mom and dad got to see their baby for the first time. It was really sweet. We also talked about pain management and took a tour of the hospital. The hospital has been open less than a year and is really nice. The rooms are huge! My favorite quote of the evening came from one of the videos we watched. "Making noise while pushing is normal." Thank goodness they told us that!

**Wednesday night we had our last baby care class. I thought this class was pretty helpful, but I know that everything we practiced on the plastic babies will be much different with a moving baby. I also know that learning textbook stuff about how to deal with a sick baby will not seem very practical when we have to deal with it in real life, but you really can't be prepared for that kind of thing until the situation presents itself. We received a safety checklist of things to consider for different areas of the home. My favorite question on the list was #56 which asks, "Are discarded freezers and refrigerators hauled away from yard, or are doors of old freezers and refrigerators removed?" I understand what is being asked, but all I can picture is a front yard full of old freezers and refrigerators.

**This afternoon I had my preadmission appointment at the hospital. I was able to fill out all the forms and list my preferences (which is really hard to do your first time around) so that when labor begins we can just get checked into the hospital.

**We only have a couple more classes to attend and then we'll just have to learn from hands-on experience. I think the classes we have taken have been helpful and would definitely recommend that you take the classes you can when you're expecting a baby. If for no other reason, it's good to get an idea of the things that are going to happen both during labor and once you get home.

**The baby has been moving a lot more lately. It started out as a very small feeling that something was moving around in my belly. Now there are times when I can see my whole middle section move. She seems most active when I lay in bed each night. Sometimes it takes me a while to get comfortable because she is so active. It is a weird feeling but also a very neat experience. I really enjoy it!

**Last week we had our 31 week doctor's appointment. Everything still looked good. Baby Girl's heart rate was 140. My blood pressure was still normal at 100/60. We go back next week for our 33 week appointment.

**Yesterday I experienced swelling in my ankles for the first time. It could have been because I wore some socks that were too tight. And again today my sock and shoe choices were poor so I have a tiny bit of swelling right now. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Prop your feet up on pillows at night and ice packs will help the swelling go down. Also if you prop your feet up under your desk at work it will make a difference. This is about the time in my pregnancy when I invested in a good set of slippers for work and cute flip flops for the rest of the day. Socks only made my problem worse.

Anonymous said...

Questions for those of you with babies...
~What did you pack in your hospital bag?
Basic toiletries, a little makeup for pictures taken by others, perfume. Cd's but didn't listen to them. Boppy pillow to nurse baby. Hospital pillows were difficult to use - slipped around a lot. Bring a Robe. 2 Piece pajamas - you don't want to pull up your whole nightgown to nurse. Slippers with hard bottoms so you can walk the halls and not get your socks or feet all dirty. Camera - and back up batteries. Pillow/snacks for hubby. Stopwatch.

~What kind of clothes and comfort items did you take to the hospital?
Brought my own pillow. Pullover shirts - no button up. Pullovers are much easier for nursing/privacy while nursing. Seems contradictory but buttoning your shirt back up with one hand is quite tricky. Hated the "nursing shirts" - with the hidden flap or whatever too. Just stick to simple feminine pullover shirts.
~How long were you in the hospital?
Vaginal birth two times - 1st baby- 2 nights; 2nd baby 1 night
~Did you wonder if you were going to be capable of going through labor? I have concerns about my own strength and stamina.
Yes. Very scared about how my body would know what to do. 1st baby - 8 days late- 26 hour labor. Pushed for 2.5 hours. Level two epiosotomy. Healed fine.
2nd baby - 3 days late - scheduled induction. Epidural from beginning. 6 hour labor. Pushed for 5 minutes. Level 2 tear. Healed fine.
Threw up during labor with both. Can't chew gum, mints and can't have but a few ice chips. Took naps between contractions with first child. Completely exhausted after first birth. Don't go in to hospital too early. They WILL send you home. God is good. Your body will be on autopilot once labor begins. It starts slow...a lot like little menstrual cramps. Cramps intensify later but tolerable. They come and go. Then when the big ones come....you feel like you've got to take a huge poop! And you just may do that but the feeling is still there with each contraction.
Lady maintenance AFTER you give birth was tough after first baby. If you have a tear or epiosotomy you have to squirt your "area" off with warm water each time you go to the bathroom for two weeks. Wear thick maxi pads too, and have ice pack between legs after birth (only a couple of days though)
~Did you take anything special/creative to the hospital to get your baby's footprints stamped on?
No, you can though. Hospital put baby's footprints on a separate piece of paper for me to bring home. Bring the outfit you want the baby photographed in - they have photographers in the hospital that will come to your room.

Could add more......

Andy said...

Did you take anything special/creative to the hospital to get your baby's footprints stamped on?

They put Katie's on my hospital shirt. I loved that. I had them make me another one. Bring some scotch guard if they do do that there. It will protect it from getting rubbed off. It's so cool that I have a shirt with her footprints on it.