Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I have been reflecting about being a mother. Here is what I have to say after 3 months.

Things I've already forgotten...

  • most of what happened at the hospital before, during, and after Canaan's birth - It's so silly to think now about how much energy I wasted being nervous about all that.

  • how tiny Canaan was and how she felt in my arms at first

  • what it was like to wake up with her several times during the night and early in the morning

  • how nervous I was about being on our own with Canaan - bathing her (which I waited a whole week to do), being solely responsible for her, having to figure out what she needed/wanted, taking her out by myself

  • all the confusion around her name - People kept calling her the wrong name (mostly Canon), and Matthew and I got confused ourselves after hearing what everyone else was saying. I would be feeding her in the middle of the night in the dark and repeat her name over and over in my head and out loud so that I would remember it. It was a strange experience.


  • And some things I've learned...

  • Matthew and I are completely capable of taking care of this blessing. And we LOVE doing it!

  • Babies are not babies for long.

  • No matter how much pink she has on, some people will always ask if Canaan is a boy (and most people assume she's a boy after hearing her name).

  • It is a luxury to have family within driving distance. It is great for Canaan to get to see them often and also wonderful to have help close by.

  • Sleep deprivation makes for a moody and ungracious Mindy. I can, however, get by on less sleep than I once thought. I can't believe now that I used to go to bed around 9 pm.

  • While I was not looking forward to the elimination diet, it is much easier than I thought when the reason for following the diet is Canaan.

  • One of my favorite sights is Canaan smiling.

  • One of my favorite smells is Canaan...especially after a bath.

  • One of my favorite feelings is Canaan's hand on my skin while I'm nursing her.

  • One of my favorite sounds is Canaan making noises with her mouth.

  • Being a mom is the BEST! It is much harder than I anticipated, but it is incredibly worth it.

  • I can do household chores much quicker than I used to do them. I use the time after Canaan goes to bed to get things done. Sometimes I'm amazed at what I can accomplish before I go to bed.

  • It is exciting to experience all the changes going on in Canaan, but it is also sad how quickly the changes are happening.

  • I want to be SUPERMOM. Even though I know that is unattainable, it is a challenge to let that go each day.

  • It is practically impossible to keep from telling everyone around me how cute and precious and wonderful is my Baby Girl.


  • 2 comments:

    Wendy said...

    Great post! It's funny how the parts that you stressed the most over are the ones that went by so fast and you can barely remember. Just wait until Canaan can say Momma. It will warm your heart just as much as those smiles and touches! Just remember that you ARE a Supermom to Canaan and in her eyes you are the best Supermom there is!!!

    Bethany said...

    I love this post!! I was very interested to hear the things that weren't important enough to remember, but seemed so scary at the time. You are a great mom!