Friday, January 25, 2008

Naughty or Nice?

I thought we had picked out the perfect puppy, possibly the best puppy there has ever been...until this week. If I didn't know M's aunt and uncle as well as I do, I might think I picked up a different dog from their house on Monday. Max has been a bit of a terror this week. Well, terror is an exaggeration, but he has been more than I've wanted to deal with for sure.
  • He chewed up one of M's sandals.
  • He keeps pulling paper off the toilet paper roll.
  • He broke the lid to our trash can - it used to have springs that made it open, now it doesn't open the same.
  • When I sit down, he no longer tries to sit on my lap or put his paws on my lap. He doesn't seem very excited to see me, either. He still follows me around everywhere, but I think that's because he wants treats.
  • When I got home this evening, he had pulled half the stuffing out of his bed.

I have taken him for a walk every evening. In my book they have been long walks, around an hour. These used to wear him out and he would just be out for the rest of the afternoon or evening. He hasn't even been phased by these walks. I am not sure what is going on with him.

I am SO glad M is coming home tomorrow. I would be glad no matter what, but I am not sure I could handle Max one more day by myself...especially a day I was home all day. I feel like I need a break. I shouldn't feel that way about a dog, should I?

2 comments:

Susan said...

I think there could be a few reasons for Max's behavior (although, I know NOTHING about pets, so don't take my word)!

-- He's mad you left him somewhere else all weekend and is getting revenge! Good news - he missed you and he'll stop at sooon!!

-- He still misses M.

-- Those other dogs of M's aunt/uncle taught him some new tricks! He's like a kid who goes to pre-school and learns new bad behaviors, bad words from the other kids.

-- He's a puppy and these sound like pretty normal puppy things to do...you just got lucky the first few months!

Bellawhoop said...

From one dog mommy to another, I think Susan hit the nail on the head with the last bullet point! The first few weeks, your puppy is in the baby stage. {Puppy stage lasts for 2 years!} You know what comes next...the terrible two's! Enjoy!

He's getting bigger and so he has more energy to expend. He doesn't get as tired as easily, so it's good to get him out more. For a big dog (like a lab), a long walk in the morning and evening might be recommended. Also, here are several options that have worked for us:
*Off-leash dog park (if there's one close by)
*Biking while letting him run behind you (Bex LOVES this)
*Back yard play time
*Long walks, where you are walking him and not letting him walk you (i.e. not letting him pull on the leash) He should be walking beside you. This is really a "working walk" and according to Caesar, they actually love this and it's great for them. It's a great time to practice "sit, down, stay" too with distraction.
*Weekend hiking trips (if even for a few hours) - Bex is so exhausted when we get home and is much more snuggly! {One of our favorite times}

It sounds like he's a handful, but don't let it get you down. Enjoy this playful time in his life, because someday he'll be an old dog that just lies around and doesn't (or can't) walk with you or run around. :)

Love ya!