Thursday, August 14, 2008

Decorating Woes

Have I mentioned that Matthew and I have completely different ideas about decorating. This is one of the factors that contributed to hanging something on the wall almost a year and a half after moving into our house. Does that mean we're slow to compromise? I hope neither of us is that stubborn.

Anyway, we have had no idea what to do with our sliding door into the backyard. The only thing I was sure of was that I did not want vertical blinds. I've only had them in apartments and I don't remember them being that bad, but it seems that everyone recommended we not buy vertical blinds. So we didn't. For a year and a half, we had nothing covering the sliding door. We have always wanted something but either didn't know what or just couldn't decide. Recently when I finally got some inspiration to do a little decorating, I decided to just buy a sheer curtain until we could decide on something else. It is amazing how something so simple has made such a difference to the look of the room, the sunlight hitting the hardwood floor, and the temperature upstairs.

I would like to hang some kind of curtain either around or over the sheer curtain, but that could take another year and a half at the rate we're going. I want something that will tie the dining room into the living room since they are right there together. I also want to add some color to a currently very neutral room. There is nothing wrong with khaki and varying shades of brown (in fact, khaki is one of my favorite colors), but we need at least a splash of color in this room. I would like to hang a curtain with some kind of pattern and a couple of colors while Matthew would like a solid color. We haven't been to look at anything yet, but while my mom was here last month we went to look at fabric samples. I ended up finding something I really like from a Smith+Noble catalog. I don't think it's too matchy-matchy, but Matthew doesn't like it at all. He thinks it matches too closely and is too busy. I've never thought that stripes could be too busy.

Please excuse the darkness in these photos. They were all taken at night so the room looks pretty dark. What do you think? (Not that your opinion is going to change mine or Matthew's taste, but at least I will know if I'm completely off my rocker or not.)

4 comments:

Bellawhoop said...

I liked it until I saw it with the rug. I don't think it really goes with the style that you're conveying in that area. Just my opinion...for what it's worth. :)

Wendy said...

I like the stripes. I think the stripes will really make brown wall blend with the blue and it will go nice with the dark wood blinds. Maybe see if you can comprise with Matthew by using a solid color from the stripes as a tie back. I did striped roman shades in our living room and love the way they turned out. It leaves with you a hint of several colors and a very classic look at the same time. I'll see if I can find a picture of our living room curtains and email it to you.

Unknown said...

Maybe if you choose another fabric with these same colors and larger stripes so they seem less "busy" to Matthew? That's one way to compromise. I definitely like those colors though.

SonbyGrace said...

This is like ... Underhanded or something. My wife - that seemingly sweet and inocent woman ... we've been duped. She is systematically attempting to gain "friend-support" as foundation for eroding my input on the home decor. I'm on to you now. I sleep with one eye open and focused intently on the back sliding door ...