Friday, October 17, 2008

The Big Game

I think I mentioned in an earlier post that my parents were in town last weekend. It was a cold weekend and we mostly stayed inside. We watched several baseball games and the big UT-OU game and played some dominoes and cards.

Growing up, I considered myself an OU fan. My parents are from Oklahoma and when we traveled there to visit family (all my parents’ brothers, sisters, and parents lived in Oklahoma) during the holidays, we always watched OU football games. Out of all my relatives there, I can’t remember anyone not being a fan of OU. THEN I moved to Colorado. I do not know if it is like this in the other 48 states, but people in Colorado think Texans are the MOST obnoxious people. They don’t even give you a chance if you are from Texas. When we first moved here, I was entirely annoyed by this. Over the years, however, I have adopted a new outlook on this silly expectation. Now my aim is to become that obnoxious Texan. (Am I proving their point?) Matthew graduated from UT so I have now jumped on that bandwagon. In fact, I think I’m a bigger fan than he is. So half the people in my house on Saturday were rooting for OU and the other half were rooting for UT. I would like to claim that Max was rooting for UT as well, but frankly he doesn’t care about football unless he is involved in the playing. Either way, someone was not going to be pleased with the outcome of this game. Fortunately for Matthew and me, it was my parents and not us. I can’t say I would have liked to have been at the game, but I would have liked to have a Fletcher’s corny dog from the state fair. That is the best corn dog I have ever had. YUM!

Sunday our pastor started a series on Genesis. He was really energetic and excited about his sermon on Genesis 1. I cannot tell you how many times I have read Genesis 1. I hate to admit that sometimes I wonder if I will get anything out of a sermon about a scripture I have read umpteen times. (That is terrible for many reasons, but especially because the Word of God is living. God can always use a scripture I have heard over and over and teach me something new, minister to me in a new way, or give me understanding that I didn’t have before. It is something that I should expect when I come to the Word.) I think the neatest thing the pastor said was the following (this is my paraphrase). Genesis 1 teaches us that there was an order and purpose to God’s creation. While we may not have all the details, we have enough to know that God purposefully created all that exists. This also teaches that as with all His other creation, God purposefully created ME. Because God created me, I have worth. Isn’t that wonderful? I am pretty sure that I have never thought of myself when reading about the creation of the universe. The pastor made sure to point out, on the other hand, the big bang theory which teaches everything is here by accident also teaches us that we are here by accident.

Sunday after church and lunch, we headed up to the outlet mall as Matthew has needed new work clothes for seriously 3 or 4 years. We hit a HUGE sale which was fun. And then we had dinner at a local place that was one of our favorites when we lived in this particular city. I ordered the creamy jalapeno soup which is YUMMY!
All in all it was a fun and relaxing weekend. And I was thankful to be inside during the cold weather. And one funny thing happened…my mom got locked in the bathroom at our house. The casing that holds the part of the door that goes into the door jam to close the door came out of the door into the door jam. Matthew had to pass a screwdriver under the door so she could pry her way out. Hopefully, he will take care of that soon so it doesn’t happen again. Until then, I’m going to be wary of closing that bathroom door.

No comments: