Thursday, October 2, 2008

The New American Plate Cookbook

Recipes for a Healthy Weight and a Healthy Life
from the American Institute for Cancer Research


This cookbook was highly recommended to me by a family friend. She raved about how great it is and how many people had purchased it because of her. I enjoy reading cookbooks so in July I ordered it from Amazon without even looking at it first. The basic premise of the book is that "your plate should hold two-thirds (or more) vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and beans and one-third (of less) animal protein." This sounds reasonable to me (although we don't eat this way) so I was on board with trying some of the recipes.

I have only tried a few of the recipes so far...southwestern black bean salad with barley (which I really enjoyed); green peppers stuffed with rice, beans, and feta (which again I enjoyed); kasha pilaf with squash and chicken (this tasted like health food); and apple-spice bread (which we both really enjoyed). Matthew wasn't really a fan of the meals without meat. He thought the kasha dish tasted like tree bark. So out of everything I have tried so far, the bread was the only hit for both of us.

I am not giving up on the book though. There are many recipes that seem more suited to fall and winter that I am excited to try...cider-glazed sweet potatoes with cranberries; honey-roasted parsnips with sweet potatoes and apples; brussel sprouts with balsamic glaze; carrot-raisin bread; cranberry-pumpkin bread with flaxseed; gingerbread; and many others. I am getting hungry just looking through the book again. I think for the time being, I may just stay away from the grains.

1 comment:

Bellawhoop said...

The premise sounds healthy. I definitely don't eat enough greens! I should probably adopt this rule. Where do the Snyder's of Hanover hot buffalo wing flavored pretzels fit in? :)