Thursday, October 2, 2008

Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen


by Trisha Yearwood

I think I read about this cookbook in a magazine article. In high school, I became a fan of Trisha Yearwood's music. And I enjoyed the article so I thought I would give the cookbook a try.

This is definitely a southern cooking cookbook (as I'm sure you figured out from the title). There are several recipes that I think I will try...Lizzie's Chicken and Dumplings, Breakfast Sausage Casserole, Black Bean Lasagna, Garlic Grits Casserole, Sweet Potato Souffle, Pecan-Pie Muffins, Sour Cream Coffee Cake, German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Frosting (to name half the book), but as you can tell these are recipes for comfort food. Every once in a while Matthew will request homemade fried chicken at home, but that is about the only thing I fry in this house.

I enjoyed how the book was written and enjoyed the stories about the history of certain recipes. I agree that there are certain foods that bring back memories of childhood or certain relatives. Most of these recipes do not look like something to try for a quick dinner, but I'll let you know if I try anything. I imagine it will be pretty tasty (see comfort food note above).

No comments: