Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Birthday Celebration

I don't have any pictures to prove it, but we did celebrate Matthew's birthday on Friday. He and I went to dinner at Carrabas which is one of our favorite restaurants. (I will have to go back once I am completely off the elimination diet so I can have a few of the goodies I had to stay away from this time.)

A former co-worker of Matthew watched Canaan for us so we could have a dinner for two. It was really nice and special. Marc and Lindsay had their hands full with their own 4 kiddos and Canaan. Canaan was crying when we left her at their house, but they said that didn't last long.

I had the camera in my purse but forgot to ask someone to take our picture. I have got to stop doing that!

I finally got Matthew's red velvet cake made Saturday night. He finished frosting it on Sunday. We tried substituting the shortening with butter as someone suggested this might keep it from being so dry. According to Matthew, it is more moist, but there is also something that tastes weird about it. I can't try it so I guess next year we may need to try something else. I also have got to figure out a better way to get the individual layers out of the pans without making a mess. If you have any suggestions for me, I'd love to hear them. Thank goodness I doubled the icing recipe. Icing covers a multitude of errors!

1 comment:

Stefanie said...

Wilton makes a cake release. It works great. I got mine at Wal-Mart in the Wilton section. It's about 5 dollars but lasts a really long time.