Tuesday, October 27, 2009

One of Us








Two years ago today, Max became part of our family. At the time, I have to admit I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I had only had one dog in my lifetime which was a completely different experience.

I think Max is doing well with Canaan. He is definitely curious about her and likes to sniff and lick her. When I give her a bath each night, he stands by the tub and tries to lick water out of it. 99.4% of the time I am feeding Canaan in the nursery, Max follows us in there and lays there while I feed her. He goes into her room at night after she's in bed or in the morning while she's still in bed to check on her. He has been really good about leaving her toys alone. He will not know what to do when she starts crawling and chasing him around. I hope he will learn soon not to be afraid. I keep telling him that one day he and Canaan will be the best of friends.

Since Canaan's arrival, he has not gotten as much exercise as before. It is more difficult to get to the park or pond now days, and frankly, it just hasn't been a priority for us. He still gets a lot of attention and love; however, he knows something is different.

One strange thing he's been doing (other than bringing the wood pile one log at a time into the yard) is spending time laying in our closet. We have no idea why he's doing this.

Max still thinks he's a lap dog. He loves to lay on Matthew and this week alone he has sat on my lap twice when I've been sitting on the floor.

You can see from at least one of these pictures that this dog knows how to relax. He is allowed on our bed and generally has his head on a pillow. While we would both like to be rid of the dog hair on the bed, we both enjoy Max's cuddling...especially when it's cold outside. On a sad note, I just realized tonight I've only taken a handful of pictures of Max since Canaan came along. Poor Max.

1 comment:

Bethany said...

Aw, Max is a sweet big "brother". :D