Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Doesn't anyone take pride in their work anymore?

Our builder made the first mistake, but our landscaper did not do anything to help the situation.

Our house was built too low. How does this happen, you might be asking (at least, I have asked that question multiple times)? I don't know how to answer that. Our home builder does not employ the fellows who do the actual building of houses. They hire contractors. Our floor plan is one of the most popular floor plans for this builder so it is likely that the same folks who built our house have built at least dozens just like it. However, somehow this time the house was built too low. What does this mean? Well...when you stand across the street from our house, it is obvious that the house is lower than the sidewalk next to it...resulting in drainage issues. Water stands in areas of our yard. The landscaper did not help the problem when he put in our grass, but the builder admitted fault and paid the landscaper to correct the problem(s). This was done almost 2 weeks ago. We are not sure the problem is fixed yet, but I certainly hope it is.

What has happened to our work ethic (and I say "our" because I know I am not the perfect employee either)? Do you realize that at the time the Statue of Liberty was built, there were no airplanes? That means that the people who worked on the Statue of Liberty did not know that one day we would be able to see the very top of the Statue. Even though they did not know that, they completed the Statue...hair and all on top. That to me is the epitemy (did I spell that right?) of good work ethic. I don't see that much today. Everything is about getting things done the quickest way so there is as much profit as possible. It doesn't matter if we cut corners or do less than we are capable of.

Every time I think of work ethic, I think of Joseph in the Old Testament. Joseph went through countless trials but always seemed to be put in charge of this or that. The Bible says that Joseph worked as unto the Lord in all he did. That challenges me, inspires me, and really makes me think about my own work and work ethic. Am I living up to that standard? Is God pleased in the effort I give to my job? I am an accountant. The work I do does not amount to much in the big picture. But can I glorify God working as an accountant? I have to believe that I can...but I am not sure that I do. I used to have that scripture posted in my office. I think I need to do that again so I am constantly reminded of my place on this earth. The purpose of my own life on this earth is to glorify God. God, help me to remember this and to make this my aim.

1 comment:

Bellawhoop said...

Also a great reminder for me. This encourages and reminds me to glorify God in ALL things - washing clothes, doing dishes, cleaning the house, raising Bexar, being a Godly wife to my husband, etc. My sweet friend, thank you for this reminder.