Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Hubby's Birthday

Yesterday was M's birthday. I hope it was a good one. Birthdays are very special to me, so I try to make it a fun day on his birthday. I took a birthday cake and cupcakes to M's office yesterday around lunch time. He was surprised to see me there. He didn't want a cake this year, but I told him that just wasn't an option. He likes a 3 layer red velvet cake so that's what I made. I ended up making 2 from scratch Monday night because I left out 2 key ingredients in the first one. I realized it as soon as I took it out of the oven. Oops! But the 2nd cake was actually the best I have made so far (this is the 3rd year I've made this for his birthday). It definitely turned out the prettiest of the ones I've made although you can tell from the picture that it is far from perfect.


We went to MacKenzie's Chop House for dinner - which we hadn't been to before. I would definitely recommend it (but none of you reading this live around here). We started with calamari. Then M had a yummy Caesar salad. For the main entree, I had a filet with gorgonzola mashed potatoes and some kind of mushroom and asparagus ragout. It was delicious! M had ostrich with some cucumber strips and a mystery sauce. He liked it but not as much as he liked my steak. Then we finished our meal with cheesecake (which was on the house for his birthday). The service was excellent and the atmosphere was relaxing and romantic. We were going to get all dressed up but decided not to at the last minute. Before M got home, I started trying on dresses to figure out what to wear. I was able to fit very snuggly into a dress I wore on our honeymoon! Even though it didn't look good (because it was so snug), I was ecstatic. I am getting closer to my weight goal each week! I will be able to wear that dress and a few others really soon! When we first started dating, we had our picture taken all the time. We have stopped doing that over the years so my goal is to start doing it again. This is a picture of us last night at dinner. It was a fun evening!

3 comments:

Bellawhoop said...

It sounds like y'all had a wonderful time! What a great picture of you both! You are looking so so cute. I love your hair like that! :-)

Congratulations on getting into your dresses. Matthew's comments were quite hilarious when we were talking on the phone. :)

Bellawhoop said...

And the cake looks great. I think you did a fabulous job on the frosting!

Susan said...

Glad you had a fun day. Your cake looks great and so do you! Those gorgonzola mp's sound amazing!