Saturday, October 13, 2007

Ramblings about Simpler Times

I am really thankful for many of the technological advances I enjoy...central heat and air in my home, heat and air in my car, my car, microwave ovens, washers and dryers, toilets that flush, a timed system to water my yard, etc. I could go on and on.

However, sometimes I wish we could go back a bit to simpler times. Wouldn't it be great if Sunday was a day to rest and spend time with family...and that everyone could and would do so? I understand the interest for stores and restaurants to be open to make an extra buck that day. But I still wish people sat on their front porch and really knew their neighbors...didn't that used to be the "norm"?

Right now, I drive be hundreds if not thousands of acres of land on my way to work. On one side of the road, there is a herd or two of antelope. They are beautiful, and so far I haven't seen that any have been hit on the road. On the other side of the road are a bunch of horses...I would say 50 to 75 in all. Each day when I drive "into town", I get so much joy seeing these animals. They always bring a smile to my face (even after living here for about 9 months). But I know one day, most of that land will be developed for either homes or retail shops or maybe both. And when that happens, I will miss my antelope and horse friends.

When my mom was a kid, they were very poor as were most of the people they knew. My mom said the 6 kids weren't really aware they had it so bad (in more than just monetary ways). Their mom made things fun for them. They played games, they made candy, and they just spent time together. Listening to their stories, they were very imaginative kids. They didn't have tv, an Xbox, or a Nintendo, or maybe even a bicycle. Yet they definitely were not missing out on anything those toys can provide. They had a home full of love and joy.

If there are ever kids in my home, I wonder what kind of parent I will be. How will I teach them about what really matters in life? How do you make sure they have what they need without giving in to everything they want? How do you teach them to have a thankful heart and to appreciate more than just things?

No comments: