Saturday, October 20, 2007

Meeting the Neighbors


We have now lived in our house for almost 9 months. Up until today, we have really only met the neighbors very briefly in 3 houses around ours. I don't want to continue to be one of those people who does not know my neighbors. I really hate that about Americans. We can be so closed off from everyone. So I spent last night making homemade chocolate chip cookies and putting these little containers together so we could entice our neighbors to like us. Most people like food, so I thought if we took them food, they would in turn like us. (That is seriously my thinking...there has got to be something wrong with me, right?) I spent most of the evening coloring the silly little houses on these things. I should have known better, but it was a bit of fun for me. Today we went to the 12 closest houses around ours to meet our neighbors. People were only home at 4 of the houses. I was so disappointed...I almost wanted to cry (I know I am really sensitive - and that I use parenthesis too much as well). We left the boxes on everyone's door step, but that doesn't really help us to meet them. I put our names, address, and phone number on the back side of the paper with the houses on them so that people can reach us if they ever need anything. I guess I can be happy that I did my part to meet people. I have to say it is frustrating though when I, the shy and awkward person, makes the effort and some people just don't care to know their neighbors. Maybe we will be able to develop some relationships here. It will definitely be a long and slow process.


Just after I wrote this, the doorbell rang. Someone who was not home when we dropped off our package earlier stopped by to say hello. M is actually over there right now helping the guy with some of his landscaping. Isn't that cool? So now we have met another neighbor.

2 comments:

Susan said...

That is SO impressive and awesome and creative! You're brave to venture out and try to meet the neighbors. I think we're ALL those shy people who don't want to do it, but the ones who take the step and do it anyway probably have a lot more friends! Your little acts of kindness may just start a neighborhood transformation!

Bellawhoop said...

I love your takeout boxes with the adorable house tags! What an awesome way to introduce yourselves to the neighborhood. :) You are so creative and way to go on putting your shyness aside and facing those fears. It sounds like you found that it wasn't as hard as you thought it might be. I want some cookies with a cute tag too! Can I be your neighbor?