Wednesday, February 13, 2008

2/12 New Recipe

Spicy Stir-Fried Tofu with Snow Peas, Peanut Butter, and Mushrooms
Cooking Light Jan/Feb 2008 p. 122

I served this with brown rice. I should have fixed a vegetable, but at least there were several different veggies in the dish itself.

I made the following changes to the recipe. I used olive oil because I did not have any canola oil in the pantry. I left out the ginger because I don't really care for it. I think I'll put it back in next time because it probably enhances the flavor of the dish. I used white mushrooms (I think) because the shiitake mushrooms where I was shopping were $12.99 per pound. I wasn't willing to spend that on this dish (I am trying to spend less money for groceries each month). That could have changed the flavor of the dish as well. I used more Sriracha than the recipe called for because M likes a lot of flavor in his meals.

Both M and I thought it was pretty good. He gave me suggestions as to what I should do next time I make it because we both thought it was a tad bland. I am not sure what you can do to make the tofu absorb the flavor of the sauce. In every recipe I have ever tried with tofu (there haven't been many), we have had the same complaint about the lack of flavor. He suggested that I add more Sriracha and pieces of actual peanuts. So we'll give that a try next time.

1 comment:

Bellawhoop said...

I've never been brave enough to try cooking with tofu before. :D Maybe I'll have to take a stab at it.