Wednesday, February 13, 2008

2/11 New Recipes

Cayenne-Rubbed Chicken with Avocado Salsa
Everyday Food Jan/Feb 2008 p. 24

Cucumber-Carrot Bites
Everyday Food Jan/Feb 2008 p. 60

1/2 English cucumber, cut crosswise into 8 rounds
coarse salt and ground pepper
1 med carrot, coarsely grated
3 tbsp reduced-fat sour cream
2 scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts separated
1/2 tsp white vinegar

1. Using a melon baller or teaspoon, scoop out a small portion from the center of each cucumber round (without going all the way through); season cucumber cups with salt and pepper.
2. In a small bowl, mix together carrot, sour cream, scallion whites, and vinegar; season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture evenly among cucumber cups; garnish with scallion greens.

I served this with brown rice.

M really liked this. I made it before I made the chicken dish so it was our appetizer. He thought it even tasted like it had some kind of meat on it. It was a very quick and yummy appetizer.

It seems like I picked up an Everyday Food magazine several years ago but was not impressed with it at all. I got the most recent magazine and have found several recipes that I want to try. The only wish I have is that it listed the nutritional information. I could figure it out by adding up the information for all the ingredients, but right now that seems like a lot of work.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Bellawhoop said...

Yummmm. This sounds great. I'm definitely gonna try this one. :)

Susan said...

Those sound great and I'm impressed you're trying new recipes!