Friday, February 8, 2008

The week of doctor visits

I also went to the dentist this week for my 6 month cleaning. Thankfully, this time the dental hygenist did not ask me how often I have been flossing. M and I always talk about what a silly question that is. I don't want to lie about it, but I also don't want to admit to not flossing when I know I should be. I had a really nice dental hygenist this time around that did not give me too hard of a time. I am thankful for that!

I went to the eye doctor for my annual exam today. I have been going to the eye doctor since I was 8 or 9 years old. And I have been wearing contacts for 17 years. It is really weird to be aware of something I have been doing for 17 years. That kind of makes me feel a bit old. Anyway, I went to a new eye doctor today. I am used to having the glaucoma test and then another test where you stick your face into this box-type machine and click a button when you see a dot. However, today I think I had an additional 4 or 5 tests. It was very interesting and weird. I always get a kick out of the eye doctor asking, "Which is better...1...or 2...1...or 2." I always have a small nervous feeling that I am picking the wrong number. Does anyone else feel this way?

When I was a kid, I looked up to my brother and always wanted to do what he did. Probably when I was in first grade he got contacts. So of course, I wanted to get contacts. At that time, I didn't even wear glasses. I had a scarf that had belonged to my grandmother. This was a satiny scarf with clear sequins on it. I decided I could pretend to be wearing a contact if I took one of the sequins and put it in my eye. I must not have been a smart kid because who would think this was a good idea? I did put it in my eye, and my mom spent I don't know how long trying to get it out of my eye. I guess my eye was not scratched, but that must have been a miracle because sequins are not designed to be put on the eyeball.

No comments: