Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Where I live…

This life of following Jesus is an interesting one. I find that I can get so caught up in my job, housework, cooking, cleaning up the house, doing laundry and playing with the dog. Just about anything can be a distraction for me – distracting me from doing what really matters. I think that keeping the house clean and cooking meals is being a good steward of what God has entrusted to me. However, there are far more important things than that…steeping myself in the Word, spending intimate time in prayer, sharing real life with my husband. Yet I spend most of my time doing those things that are not eternally significant. As I sit at my desk each day listening to my iPod, I hear song after song that reminds me of Kingdom things. I know the best is yet to come…on that day when I see Jesus face to face. That should be what I look most forward to. And I do look forward to that…but then I’m distracted again and think about the things I still want to experience on this earth. I am a living dichotomy.

What is even worse about all this is I have recently come to know all kinds of people who are really struggling with situations I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy…death, infertility, miscarriages, illness. If nothing else, my thankfulness should drive me to my knees to know my Creator as well as to intercede for those who are walking through the valley of the shadow of death. My faithfulness should not be dependent on my circumstances or feelings…I should just be faithful. God chose me as His child. My life should daily be laid down for His purposes and glory.

I am in the midst of these thoughts and how I can change my daily life around these thoughts.

No comments: