Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Did you see that????

I am a baseball fan. When I lived in Dallas, I worked for a company that had season tickets to the Texas Rangers. I grew up watching baseball with my dad and going to a Rangers game or Astros game on a few vacations. My LOVE for baseball, however, did not really begin until I started going to so many games at the Ballpark in Arlington. I just could not get enough. One season, I think I went to 50 to 60 of the 81 home games. When I couldn't go or when the team was out of town, I would watch them play on tv. Since getting married, I haven't watched as many games because (1) Matthew couldn't care less about baseball and (2) now I cannot get many Rangers games on tv. Matthew knows I love baseball though and took me to Wrigley Field for our first anniversary.

Last night, I watched the Home Run Derby. It was awesome! I cannot believe Josh Hamilton did not win the competition, but he sure did put on a show. He hit 28 homeruns in the first round of the derby. It was seriously incredible to see. Even the other major league players there were “wowed” by his ability. His pitcher last night was his mentor who is 71 years old. That guy threw more than 50 pitches in the first round.

What is even more exciting is that Josh is the real deal. He came back to baseball after a 3 year hiatus of drug and alcohol addiction. He is a believer and uses his platform to share his story and how God has made all the difference in his life. He also shares his story about his drug abuse with kids in school. I have heard that he is a fan favorite and is really good about connecting with the fans and giving autographs.

You can read about him and last night here, here, here, or here (or just do a search on his name).

2 comments:

Susan said...

So, you'll probably kill me when I tell you that I was offered a FREE ticket to the HRDerby last night and turned it down. I know, I should have gone! Today, the All-Star Parade was right outside my building on 6th Avenue. There was a red-carpet all the way down the street!!! We went outside for a bit and saw some of the old guys -- Tommy Lasorda, Yogi Berra, Ozzie Smith. From 14 flights up, we saw the younger guys like A-Rod! It was pretty cool!

Mindy said...

My goodness! I don't want to hear that. That would have been worth a plane ticket to New York for me. Oh well! I'm sure dealing with the crowd wouldn't have been so fun. Maybe I need your job - is that where you had the free ticket from?