Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Productive Weekend

I would say we had a fun and productive weekend. Friday after work, our neighbors came over to eat blue cheese burgers and watch Firefly. If you haven't seen Firefly, I would recommend it. It is a science fiction tv series that only ran for one season. I am not the biggest sci-fi fan, but this show is hilarious to me. I would describe it as something between science fiction and western. It is quite entertaining.

Saturday Matthew worked on staining the fence. You should have seen Max while this was going on. Matthew put him in the backyard while Matthew was on the outside of the fence. Max generally wants to be as close to a person as possible. So he laid against the fence which meant that he got stain on him. I wanted to take a picture of this, but I knew as soon as I opened the door Max would come running. So I didn't even attempt the picture of Max laying next to the fence. It was funny though! While Matthew stained the fence, I ran some errands and played with Max. I went to PetSmart while I was out. A rescue organization was there for pet adoptions. I saw THE CUTEST puppies there (of course, I say that pretty much any time I see puppies). They were a mix of sharpei and rotweiller. I seriously considered bringing one home. You should have seen them. We then cleaned out the window wells. A couple of them were filled with tumble weeds and trash. While Matthew was in one of the wells, he found a tiny frog. I have no idea where it came from, but we freed him into the yard. Hopefully, he hopped away to a new home. We spent the afternoon with our neighbors at the movie theater watching "Hancock." I really enjoyed the movie, but Matthew wanted more background on the main character. We all wanted to go see The Dark Knight but knew it would be crazy to do so over the weekend. We'll have to go another time. Saturday evening some Merritt family friends stopped by on their way through town. The couple and their daughter (who now lives in Boulder) took us to dinner and then stayed the night at our house. The couple is going on a motorcycle trip and will be staying the week in Pagosa Springs. They left their truck and trailer here and took their motorcycle to Pagosa Springs. They will come back through next Saturday and stay the night again. It was nice to see them (I met them a little over a year ago when they came for a ski trip) and here funny stories about Matthew's growing up years in Tennessee.
Sunday morning our friends took us to breakfast before they left town. Afterward, Matthew and I had a semi-lazy day. We were both exhausted for most of the day. Matthew finished staining the fence while I hung curtains on our sliding door. I can't believe it took me a year and a half to get anything hung over that door. It is completely silly. I would still like to hang other curtains over or around the door as well, but that may never happen. It is seriously amazing that we have chosen anything for our house as Matthew and I have polar opposite taste in most things. We may never find a compromise for the curtains. I'll let you know if/when we do make that compromise though. After hanging the curtains and playing with Max in the backyard (during which I had to get the ladder to retrieve the Flying Squirrel that I threw onto the roof), I dislocated my knee (for the 4th time) while heading into the house. I have no idea what happened because it happened so fast. So I've had a sore knee this week. We took Max up to the pond to let him swim (and to clean him off a bit). That is definitely the easiest and most fun way to "give him a bath." Even though no soap is involved, he always smells nicer and is so soft after swimming. He had a great time as usual and this time Matthew got in the water with him. He didn't know what to do about that. He would retrieve the ball but didn't want to get out of the water while Matthew was still in there. When we got home, I watched "The Memoires of a Geisha." I thought it was an interesting movie. I'm not sure if I would recommend it or not. I did enjoy it though and thought the main characters eyes were beautiful.
All in all, it was a fun, relaxing, and productive weekend; however, Matthew is responsible for most of the productive-ness. I think the things he took care of have really made an impact on how the place looks...and that makes me feel nice and at home.

No comments: