Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Next

So my next sewing project could possibly take the rest of my life to complete. I hope it doesn't, but I may have decided to take on more than I can handle. BUT I am committed to see it through to completion. AND I am really excited about it.

I have now read a couple of books, a couple of magazines, and at least a dozen blogs about quilting. I am starting with a simple quilt from a book I recently read. It looks pretty simple and says it is for beginners. Have I mentioned I am excited about this?

I started last Friday night at the fabric store. I was going to start small but got so excited about the fabric I was finding that I just couldn't help myself. I like the colors in this fabric and hope it will not turn out too matchy-matchy (which I have been known to have an issue with). Isn't it lovely and inviting?

I am a bit anxious to post about this so early in the process, but I thought it would (1) be fun to have an update each week and (2) encourage me to continue when I get discouraged or overwhelmed.

The first picture is of the fabric just after purchase and before washing. I got home so late from the store that after washing, I wasn't even able to get started until Saturday. The second picture is of all the fabric cut into 6" x 6" squares after it had all been ironed. I'm not sure if you noticed, but I decided I didn't have a large enough variety so I went to the store again Saturday afternoon for some additional fabric.

Now that it has all been cut out, I have to iron all 4 edges of each square. Last night, I ironed 18 squares. I have no idea how many I have left, but it is going to take me a good while to get that part done.

I tell you...there is a lot of preparation before any sewing can start.

1 comment:

Bellawhoop said...

What lovely fabrics! I just talked with some ladies at our Ladies' Bible Class tonight about learning to quilt! How fun! I can't wait to see how this turns out.