Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I LOVE the local library

M and I went from living in a city with a tiny library that never had what we wanted to a city with a great library. I have really enjoyed checking out books the last few months. I like to read, but I don't generally read a book more than once.

I recently checked out "When I Lay My Isaac Down" by Carol Kent. I heard Carol speak at a Women of Faith conference a couple of years ago and had wanted to read her book then, but I just recently remembered it. It was an incredibly personal account of her and her family's life. My faith has not been tested like her's. It was moving to read...in fact, I had tears in my eyes several times.

On another note, M and I went to see 3:10 to Yuma this weekend. We really enjoyed it. It is a Western similar to the old Westerns. M thought it was better than Open Range...I just thought it was different. Isn't it interesting that movies and tv shows today are criticized for being so violent? What about all the Westerns that have been around forever? Maybe those didn't affect (I never know when to use "affect" and "effect") people the way movies do now because it was generally the bad guys getting what was coming to them. Anyhow, I enjoyed the movie. I would recommend it if you're into Westerns at all.

2 comments:

Susan said...

That sounds like a good book. I've been wanting to get into reading books again. Right now, I'm reading The Alchemist and have had trouble getting into, thus, it's taking forever to finish...I am determined. This one you mentioned sounds more my style, though!

Bellawhoop said...

I also love our library. When I finish the ones I'm reading now, I'm going to read Carol's next. There are so many good books out there and so many on my list and not enough time to read them! Oh well...I'm getting other things done, so at least I'm making progress. I also liked 3:10 to Yuma but I didn't like how I felt when watching it. This may sound weird, but I actually wound up liking the bad guy and didn't want the kid to shoot him. I hate how Hollywood does that...or maybe it's just my brain. Ugh.