Friday, March 21, 2008

So sick

I had to go to Utah again for work Sunday through Tuesday. This is not usually a big deal, but this was during my close week. I have a week 1 (which is my close week – generally busy), week 2, week 3, and week 4. Then we start all over again. This schedule gives us 13 periods to close rather than 12 months. It stinks! Almost every holiday falls during week 1. Anyway, I was going to be gone to Utah to help two stores with their first close. On top of that, once I got home I needed to close the 5 stores I normally close as well as 2 more that I picked up this period. Add to that the 2 stores in Utah I was helping, and I had a total of 7 stores to close and 2 to help with the beginning of their close. It was all overwhelming, but I was taking it in stride…until Tuesday morning. Around 9 am, I decided that I must have the flu. I’m not positive that’s what it was, but it sure felt like it (in addition to getting sick, I was also cold, shaky, sweaty, achy, just all around yucky). There’s nothing like being sick away from home. I was miserable. I got sick (and I think you know what I mean when I say “I got sick”) 4 times in Utah – 2 times at one store I was working at, once at the gas station on my way to the airport, and once at the airport. I was almost crying each time because I felt so bad and didn't know if I should just get a hotel room for one more night or go home. Three times I made it to the bathroom – which wasn’t fun because it was a public bathroom where little girls were asking their mothers what was going on in the other stall – and can’t those public bathrooms be gross anyway? Unfortunately, at the airport where I was catching an earlier flight home, I didn’t make it to a bathroom so I got sick in the trash can next to the jet way. If I hadn’t been feeling so miserable, I would have been embarrassed. I was terrified that I would get sick on the airplane so I prayed the entire flight that I would not. I was so thankful that I didn’t have to go into that tiny bathroom to get sick while in the air. I am sure the other passengers were thankful as well…at least they would be if they saw me before boarding the plane (which I am convinced many did). I am also thankful for the passenger who switched seats with me so I could be on the aisle seat of the last row right next to the bathroom. He got seat 5E in return…sorry for the middle seat pal. Once home, I had to drive an hour and a half home from the airport. I got home around 7:45 pm Tuesday and slept until 11 am Wednesday. I got up for bits of time Wednesday but pretty much slept all day. So that left Thursday and Friday to close my 7 stores. Yippie. Let me just say that I did not give 110% this time around…unless you give me some kind of credit for going out of town and being sick. I am SO glad it is Friday and I can continue to rest this weekend as well as get away from work.

No comments: