Friday, June 27, 2008

50th Reunion

My father grew up in a small farming area. He went to grade school in Aloso, OK and high school in Stonewall, OK. This weekend is his 50th reunion. He said of the 29 people he graduated with 6 have passed away and 22 of the living folks have been located and invited to the reunion…only 1 lady has not been found. He and my mom are traveling there today. He has been talking about this reunion for at least the last 6 months. He is excited to visit with some folks he hasn’t seen in a while.

He has been attending the reunion for the past couple of years. They have a reunion every year and anyone who went to the school is invited to come back. There are a couple of people he hasn’t seen in 50 years. There is one lady that he went to school with from 1st grade to graduation. In fact, they were “next door neighbors.” The doctor came to the farm to deliver my dad and then on the same day went to the next farm to deliver that baby girl. So they share the same birthday as well. They didn’t have kindergarten then and his elementary school was grades 1 through 8. They had one teacher for 1st and 2nd grade, one for 3rd and 4th grade, one for 5th and 6th grade, and one for 7th and 8th grade.

I really enjoy hearing about how different his school experience was from mine. I pretty much enjoy all the stories from his childhood. He always wanted to be a cowboy and would practice roping his brother. It sounds like it took his younger brother a while to catch on to the fact that he was going to be roped every time my dad told him to start running.

I hope he has a GREAT weekend and expect to hear all about it when he gets back home.

1 comment:

Bellawhoop said...

That's so fun! I enjoy hearing those stories, too. I should ask my dad about his schooling, which should have some funny stories associated with it, knowing my dad! :) I hope he has a fun time; that's an incredible percentage of people that still attend, especially considering the number of people with which he graduated! So fun!