Thursday, June 5, 2008

Invisible Fence

We have trouble keeping Max in the backyard when we are away from home. He has only escaped a couple of times, but it is enough to make me nervous about leaving him outside while we are at work...especially since we are gone so long. Who knows where he could end up?

Our neighbor told me they have an invisible fence. It has taught their dog well where she can and cannot go. He said that she is used to it now and he only has to turn in on every now and then to remind her of her boundaries. Every time Max has gotten out, he has gone to this neighbor's house. Thankfully, they just put him in their backyard when he ends up over there. He loves to play with Bealle (their 4 year old golden retriever). This hasn't been so bad, but what if he got out when they weren't home to rescue him.

This week I had someone come out to give me an estimate on the invisible fence. Oh my goodness! That is quite the investment. Their most expensive package (and of course the one the guy was pushing) would be $1300+. I really couldn't believe it. It came with a lot of bells and whistles; however, it was $1300!! The guy drove up in a van with a large dog on the side of it. Max barked at that dog. It was the funniest thing!

Needless to say, we are trying to explore other options. I love Max and don't want him to run off or be injured. I am just not sure how we can get him to stay in our yard. We believe his deal is that he just doesn't like to be without us. This is most likely my fault because I didn't leave him alone much as a puppy. I should have left him in the yard so that he would get used to it. It just didn't occur to me at the time. Now I know better. He has been very good in the house, but even our vet told us that he needs to be outside and there is no reason he shouldn't be outside while we are at work this summer.

If you have any suggestions for us, I'd love to hear them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if Max is fixed yet, but I think sometimes that helps. It also could be that he's still a puppy and just wants to get out and explore.

Good luck.