Sunday, June 22, 2008

Straightening

We have had a busy and fun weekend.


Friday night we went to some folks' house that Matthew works with. Several couples were there that I hadn't seen in a while so it was fun to visit. We had pizza and later sang Karoke (actually I just sang along with everyone and not my own solo). They have an American Idol game for their Playstation that is karoke. It was quite entertaining! We didn't get home until around midnight. I was a little irritated about this because I knew Max had been sleeping while we were gone and would wake me up early on Saturday.


Max woke me up for the first time around 3:30 Saturday morning. I got up with him again between 4 and 5. Then one more time around 6:30. I stayed in bed until 7:30 but had been awake since 6:30. I was not a happy camper. So at 7:30 I got out of bed, got dressed, and took Max for a walk. Not only did we get exercise, but I also had a much better attitude once I got home. As soon as we got into the field, Max found the cow bone again. I still can't believe he remembers where he leaves that thing. We walked to a new area and he found another bone. This one was huge. Even though I don't know they're cow bones, I am confident they are not human remains because they are just huge. I think he would have carried it home, but he was so tired and thirsty he kept dropping it. Finally he just gave up. After showering and attempting to eat breakfast (we were out of milk), I started on my running errands marathon. I was out of the house for 4 1/2 hours running errands. I would rather get this done during the week but didn't have time last week. So I ran errands, more errands, and even more errands. This week is going to be busy as well so I wanted to make sure I got everything done before the madness starts on Monday. After running errands and putting all the groceries and goodies away, I took a short nap. Then I started making some sides for our dinner at some friends' house. We got together with 3 other couples from our Sunday school class for burgers. I took this salad I made recently (minus the chicken) and these potatoes from the June/July 2008 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray. Unfortunately, I came up with the best quote of the night. "Straightening gives the appearance of straightness. And straightness makes me feel good." We started talking about the differences we had found between ourselves and our spouses...mainly talking about cooking and housekeeping. It was a funny conversation. And sometimes it is just nice to know that everyone struggles with some of the same petty issues. We stayed at their house until around 11. It was fantastic to fellowship with everyone. Before we left, we shared prayer requests or about what's been going on in our lives and prayed for each other. I really enjoyed the evening. It was an unexpected blessing.

Today after church, Matthew and I had lunch at Mimi's Cafe. The thing that draws me to Mimi's is their homemade muffins. They are DELICIOUS! I always order the buttermilk spice...it is like eating dessert. If you are ever in town, we'll have to take you to Mimi's. This left us with a short afternoon since we got home a little before 2. It has still be a relaxing day.

I can't say either of us are ready for the alarm clock to get us up for work tomorrow, but we definitely enjoyed our weekend.

By the way, I think we may have proven our theory that Max is just getting hot at night. While we have AC and use it, our basement stays cool while the main level of the house gets really warm. So we rigged a couple of box fans to move cool air from the basement up to our room. I think this helped last night but we'll see what happens tonight. Max got on our bed when I went to bed around midnight. He did not wake me up until 5 til 6 this morning. He was still sleeping next to me. I have high hopes that he will sleep all night tonight.

No comments: