Monday, June 16, 2008

Grilled Chicken Salad with Sweet and Spicy Dressing

Grilled Chicken Salad with Sweet and Spicy Dressing
Cooking Light, June 2008 p. 116
4 servings

Chicken:
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
cooking spray

Dressing:
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

Salad:
8 cups mixed salad greens
1 cup thinly sliced peeled cucumber
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 plum tomatoes, quartered

1. To prepare chicken, combine the first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add the chicken to the bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 1 hour, turning the bag occasionally.
2. Prepare grill.
3. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 5 minutes on each side or until chicken is done. Let chicken stand 10 minutes; cut across grain into 1-inch-thick slices.
4. To prepare dressing, combine cilantro and next 7 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon cumin) in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
5. To prepare salad, arrange 2 cups greens, 1/4 cup cucumber, 1 tablespoon onion, and 2 tomato wedges on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 chicken breast half. Drizzle 2 tablespoons dressing over each serving.

I somehow missed the limes at the store so I used lemon. I will have to try it with the lime next time around. This was really yummy for dinner last night! I thought the dressing and salad had a lot of flavor. I made additional dressing because I've learned that we usually use more than we are supposed to. I also added avocado to the salad because I had some on hand (Matthew added some feta cheese to his as well). I served this with some frozen veggies (french cut green beans, mushrooms, and tomatoes in a garlic butter sauce) I purchased at Whole Foods. This was a nice dinner and really quick to fix. I also enjoyed using my indoor grill again. I love that thing!

No comments: