Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Conviction

Over the past few weeks, I have been thinking about how rotten my attitude about my job has been. I had my second Bible study with my Titus 2 group last night. We were talking about knowing God and somehow the subject of work relationships came up. We were talking about how our "work ethic" should make us appear different than our co-workers that are not believers. Immediately I thought about how I had not been glorifying God with my work quality nor my attitude. Several scriptures came to mind.

"The Lord was with Joseph and he prospered, and he lived in the house of his Egyptian master. When his master saw that the Lord was with him and that the Lord gave him success in everything he did, Joseph found favor in his eyes and became his attendant. Potiphar put him in charge of his household, and he entrusted to his care everything he owned. From the time he put him in charge of his household and of all that he owned, the Lord blessed the household of Egyptian because of Joseph. The blessing of the Lord was on everything Potiphar had, both in the house and in the field. So he left in Joseph's care everything he had; with Joseph in charge, he did not concern himself with anything except the food he ate." Genesis 39:2-6

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:22-24

"But Daniel resolved not to defile himself with the royal food and wine, and he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself this way. Now God had caused the official to show favor and sympathy to Daniel, but the official told Daniel, 'I am afraid of my lord the king, who has assigned your food and drink. Why should he see you looking worse than the other young men your age? The king would then have my head because of you.' Daniel then said to the guard whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, 'Please test your servants for ten days: Give us nothing but vegetables to eat and water to drink. Then compare our appearance with that of the young men who eat the royal food, and treat your servants in accordance with what you see.' So he agreed to this and tested them for ten days. At the end of the ten days they looked healthier and better nourished than any of the young men who ate the royal food. So the guard took away their choice food and the wine they were to drink and gave them vegetables instead. To these four young men God gave knowledge and understanding of all kinds of literature and learning. And Daniel could understand visions and dreams of all kinds. At the end of the time set by the king to bring them in, the chief official presented them to Nebuchadnezzar. The king talked with them, and he found none equal to Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah; so they entered the king's service. In every matter of wisdom and understanding about which the king questioned them, he found them ten times better than all the magicians and enchanters in his whole kingdom." Daniel 1:8-20

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God." 1 Corinthians 10:31

I first want to point out that these scriptures are not a formula for God's provision or success as the world sees it. The Spirit convicts me when I read and meditate on these scriptures because I should be working (my occupational job, my housework, etc) as unto the Lord...not for any reason other than because He deserves any and all glory I can give Him. Everything I do should be done as unto the Lord. If everything I do is unto the Lord, I have been giving him a stinky offering lately. I have been doing just enough to get by. When I think about it in this context, I don't want to give God anything less than my best effort. How will my boss and co-workers see Christ lived out in my life if I am okay with the status quo?

This is not a new thought process or something new I am struggling with. This has been a struggle throughout my working years (more than 9 now). I tend to focus too much on how I feel about my job, what I am or am not getting out of my job, how I want to move up or do something different. I often forget my main purpose in this world which is to bring glory to the God of the universe. It is so easy for me to turn my eyes and attention from the One who has been so very gracious to me in spite of the fact that I deserve eternal separation from Him. I get caught up in silly things about work and life that do not matter at all.

My prayer is that God will turn my weak and futile effort...my mundane work into something beautiful in His sight. That He will use my ordinary life to glorify Himself. And that I will be willing to daily lay down my life for His purposes.

For this is a moment made for worshipping.

No comments: