Friday, June 6, 2008

Lawn Mower

I am officially a lawn mower (insert tune to "I'm a wheel watcher" here). Obviously, I am not a machine. But I am now one who mows (at least until Matthew has recovered from his injury).

I am sure if you know me it is not hard to believe that I have never mowed a lawn before. This is for several reasons really…(1) I asked my dad once if I could mow the yard when I was growing up. He convinced me that I didn’t really want to do it. That was probably dad-speak for “I don’t think you’re strong enough to push the lawn mower.” That could have been completely true and accurate…I’m not very strong. Or it could have meant, "I would like to get this done sooner rather than later." (2) After moving out of my parents’ house for college, I have only lived two places where the lawn needed to be mowed. The first place was the trailer where we lived in Austin. This yard was TINY. Matthew ended up “mowing” it most of the time with a weed whacker because we didn’t have a lawn mower. This worked pretty well. (I just realized after typing those sentences that our neighbors must have really though we were rednecks!) The second place is our current home. After getting our yard put in last year, I made mowing Matthew’s job. Unlike most folks, I like dividing the house work between girl work and boy work. Boy work usually ends up being the stuff I don’t want to do. Just because I divide the work that way doesn’t mean that’s how it gets done. My husband is far too smart to not figure that out, but it doesn’t keep me from trying.

Anyway, I think I did rather well mowing the front yard last night. I found turning the lawn mower around a bit challenging, but overall the yard looks pretty good. Our yard is not flat so there were parts that were a bit more difficult to mow than others. This weekend I need to tackle the backyard. This will be a little more work because some of the grass back there has grown taller. Even though it's "no big thang", I was proud of myself last night. I guess now I'm a regular renaissance gal.

No comments: