Thursday, April 24, 2008

One year ago

One year ago today was an interesting day. It was not fun, but it definitely created a memory I won’t soon forget.

M had an appointment in Castle Rock (about 45 minutes from our house) to have his wisdom teeth removed. His dentist referred him to an oral surgeon here in Colorado Springs, but for some unknown reason that oral surgeon has an office in Castle Rock where he actually does the procedures. In fact, all the folks who work in his office in Castle Rock live in Colorado Springs because they also work at an office here. Weird!

So we woke up on April 24th to snow (after a really nice weekend of warm temperatures). It was actually snowing pretty good, but we made it to the oral surgeon’s office without any problem. The oral surgeon himself was late because of the weather. I believe M’s appointment was around 9:30 am. He had his wisdom teeth taken out and we left Castle Rock for home around 10 or 10:30. By this time, there was quite a bit of snow on the ground. So we got on the highway to go home. We were stuck on the highway for most of the day and didn’t get home until 5:30 pm – 7 hours later!! Even worse than poor M being stuck in the car with no food or drink after having his wisdom teeth taken out (thus not being able to take the pain medication) was that as soon as I pulled onto our street I got the car stuck in the snow. We ended up walking about 2 blocks home in the blowing snow. The wind was blowing toward us so hard I could barely walk in it, add to that the fact that we were walking in deep snow, it was not fun. We just had to leave the car in the middle of the road where I got it stuck until the next day. We got up the next morning and went to dig our car out of the snow along with 3 or 4 other people doing the same thing. It was crazy!

Thankfully, today the weather is much nicer than this day last year – in the 70s in fact. And thankfully, we are now both without our wisdom teeth and won’t have to experience at least that part of this story again.

2 comments:

Bellawhoop said...

Wow! I can't believe that was already a year ago. I'm so glad you're not experiencing that today! Maybe your birthday and anniversary will be a little more fun. :)

Susan said...

This is a good story! Does M remember much of it at all? I'm sure it was harder on you! I don't remember much about the day I got my wisdom teeth out - I told my mom the same story over and over that day. I do remember when she told me "Susan, you've told me that story several times already today"! I was out of it!