Sunday, April 6, 2008

Sickly Again

I woke up last Sunday morning not feeling well. My throat was sore and I had a hint of a cough. We went ahead and went to church because we were going to miss the next weekend. After church, I decided to take a nap, hoping I would feel better once I got some rest. That was not the case. I felt even worse when I woke up Monday morning so I decided to stay home and get more rest. My parents left Monday morning so I stayed in bed half the day. We were going to leave Friday for St. Louis so I decided I better go to the doctor and get over whatever I had so I wouldn't be sick around M's mother.

I was able to make an appointment Monday afternoon with a doctor not too far from home. I was the only patient in the waiting room which was nice and quickly was taken back to see the doctor. They were surprised to see my temperature at 103 degrees and my heart rate was 130. They felt this was dangerous so they took me to the surgical room and let me lay down. They measured my heart rate laying down, sitting up, and standing up. I think they also checked some other things, but I was pretty out of it. I had to wait for the doctor for a while so I just stayed on the table and tried to take a nap. He came in and told me how serious the situation was and that he would have me feeling better before I left the office. I took a gram of Tylenol and waited 40 minutes or so to see if that impacted my fever and heart rate. It did nothing. So then I got a shot of some other pain medication. I had to wait a bit longer to see if that did anything to the fever and heart rate. They were both down a little bit so the doctor let me go home. He told me he thought I just had a mean cold and sent me home with a painkiller prescription. I didn't realize at the time that he didn't give me anything for my sore throat or cough.

I woke up again on Tuesday with a 103 temperature. I probably don't have to tell you I was miserable. Wednesday was a bit better, but M started feeling badly. We ended up canceling our trip to St. Louis and both going to the doctor on Thursday. Turns out we both had bronchitis. Congratulations to us! We both came home with 3 prescriptions and have been trying to get better ever since then. I am feeling much better, and M is on the road to recovery I think. I am beginning to feel stir crazy. I have basically been home a whole week. I have left to run a couple of errands since then, but that is a lot of time to spend at home when you don't feel like doing anything but sleeping. We can't wait to get a good night's sleep with no coughing and be able to enjoy the day again.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

I hope you guys feel better soon!

Susan said...

Yuk! Sorry you've been feeling so bad. I've heard the most awful things about bronchitis lately. I hope yours doesn't linger and you feel better soon!!